Every form of CBD has its pros and cons, and some tend to be more effective than others. Here are a few things to know about each. As CBD grows in popularity it's important to know more about this fascinating compound – and also know the various options that are out there What Are the Pros and Cons of Using CBD Gummies? CBD is one of the world’s most popular and rapidly expanding products. In the recent past, little was known about the effects of CBD on the human
6 Popular Ways To Consume CBD + The Pros & Cons Of Each
Our editors have independently chosen the products listed on this page. If you purchase something mentioned in this article, we may earn a small commission.
The wellness world moves quickly: It’s two years after regulations on hemp-derived CBD loosened, and we already have CBD-infused activewear, pet water (pet water!), and tampons in our hands.
With so many versions of the compound now available, it can be fun to play around with new ones from time to time. But it’s important to remember that even though this plant medicine is non-intoxicating, it’s still a medicine and should be consumed slowly, cautiously, and with the blessing of your doctor. It’s also worth noting that every form of CBD has its pros and cons, and some tend to be more effective than others. So for the sake of your stress relief—and your wallet—here are a few things to know about each.
When consuming a CBD capsule product, you’ll have a better idea of how much of the compound you’re actually taking.
Compared to oils or vapes, capsules are less of a guessing game. This is why doctors will oftentimes recommend starting with capsules to find your ideal dose. “If I’m going to use a product, I want my patient to get exactly the same amount every single day,” functional medicine doctor Robert Rountree, M.D., explained on the mbg podcast. “I like the stability of the capsules. And I like the consistency of the capsules.”
When creating our own hemp product, mbg landed on capsules for this reason. They deliver a controlled amount of cannabinoids (our hemp multi+ is full-spectrum, meaning it contains CBD and other beneficial hemp plant compounds) and deliver a relatively similar experience each time.* And for more product recommendations, check out our cbd capsule roundup.
When you consume a CBD capsule, it needs to pass through the digestive tract before making its way into the bloodstream. Along the way, it loses some of its potency. This means you might need to take a higher dose of it at the start in order to feel its full effects.
“When you take CBD by mouth, only about 6% gets into the bloodstream—so it’s low,” says Dani Gordon, M.D., a double board-certified medical doctor and author of The CBD Bible. “It still works for many people, but it is low, and because of that, you often need larger doses than something that’s absorbed more easily.”
Some research suggests that taking CBD oil sublingually (placing it under the tongue and allowing it to dissolve) allows it to enter the bloodstream faster, making it quicker to kick in than a capsule.
It can be difficult to gauge dose when consuming an oil out of a dropper. Bonni Goldstein, M.D., a California-based physician and author of the upcoming book Cannabis Is Medicine, has also found that taking CBD in oil form can lead to digestive side effects like gastric upset or diarrhea, depending on the person and the product.
Like oils, vape pens deliver CBD to the bloodstream faster so you can feel its effects almost immediately.
There’s a lot we don’t know about the long-term health effects of vaping, as shown by recent investigations into e-cigarettes and lung health. Those with preexisting lung conditions should definitely not vape, and the rest of us might want to hold off until we know more about it—especially in the age of COVID-19. Plus, integrative medicine doctor Amy Shah, M.D., previously told mbg, “The cartridges used in vape pens may contain chemicals such as polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol, which can be irritants and may cause allergic reactions when inhaled.”
Topical CBD cream has been shown to reduce joint swelling and pain in studies on arthritic mice, but more research still needs to be done to validate its effect on humans. Anecdotally, some people find success applying CBD products to stiff muscles or using it as a relaxing all-around massage oil.
CBD Gummies 101 – What Are They? Pros and Cons
CBD is growing in popularity not only in the UK but also in so many other countries across the globe.
It is interesting how a compound we completely knew nothing about a few years back has taken over the wellness industry with so many CBD products being globally used and accepted as helpful food supplements.
CBD is derived from the hemp plant. It is one of the 120+ naturally occurring cannabinoids found in the plant. Another prevalent cannabinoid is THC, which is the psychoactive compound in the cannabis plant.
Unlike THC, CBD won’t get you high. This is the main reason why Cannabidiol has become an ideal option for wellness enthusiasts.
CBD exists in different forms. While there are some people who prefer taking CBD oil in its raw form, there are others who find its raw and earthy taste undesirable. This has necessitated the transformation of CBD oil into other products such as CBD gummies.
Being a relatively new compound, people still have a lot of questions regarding the use and legality of the various CBD products.
In this post, we will let you know all there is about CBD gummies, what they are, their pros and cons as well as their legal status in the UK.
What Are CBD Gummies?
CBD oil is made by extracting the Cannabidiol from the hemp plant and suspending it in an inert oil, e.g., coconut oil. The same procedure is followed when making CBD gummies only that in this case, Cannabidiol is either mixed directly into the recipe or made into an oil first and then cooked into old gummies.
CBD gummies are one of the many CBD edibles you will find in food supplement stores today. Just like any other gummy treat, these gummies come in different colours and shapes. They also come in different flavors, meaning that you can always find something that works for you.
If you’re located in the United Kingdom and are interested in trying CBD gummies we recommend checking out CBD Shopy or ZenBears.
Pros and Cons of CBD Gummies
Although there are many CBD supplements out there, gummies have consistently remained among the most popular CBD edibles out there – mainly because these products have properties or features that most people find attractive over other forms of CBD.
Pros of CBD Gummies
If you want to consume CBD under ‘wraps,’ then CBD gummies is the way to go. They are very inconspicuous and to the public, your CBD-infused gummy will look like any other gummy or sweet.
This means that you can consume it on the go without fearing any judgement from people who still consider cannabis products ‘harmful’ and undesirable.
2. They are tasty
Another reason why CBD gummies are so popular is because of their rich taste profile. Gummies come in a wide range of flavors hence making it easy for anyone to enjoy the benefits associated with this supplement.
3. Easy to incorporate into our daily routine
It is very easy to incorporate CBD gummies into our existing wellness and health routine as we’re simply adding another item to the vitamin’s supplements or gel caps we take. It means CBD will be taken regularly, given it a better chance of being beneficial.
4. Easy to dose
Gummies come with clearly indicated CBD levels. This makes it easy for you to dose even if you are just starting out. For instance, if you want to consume 10mg of CBD, two gummies of 5mg CBD content should be enough.
5. Good for kids
If you want your kids to start consuming small amounts of CBD, what other better ways than incorporating the compound into gummies?
• Gummies have a lower bioavailability as compared to taking CBD sublingually, as you would with CBD oil.
• Depending on the manufacturer, gummies can be more expensive than CBD oils.
• May contain undesirable additives such as colourings and flavourings.
• Not suitable for people with food allergies or those who can’t consume things like gluten and gelatin.
• Longer time to take affect so less suitable for someone looking for immediate results.
Are CBD gummies legal in the UK?
Yes, as long as they contain less than the allowable 0.2% THC. Make sure that 3rd party lab results confirm this claim. Always ensure to check third party independent lab results. High-quality and reputable companies will always be able and willing to provide certificates of analysis when requested.
Can I Make CBD Gummies on My Own?
Yes, it is possible to make CBD gummies on your own. Although this is completely legal, you must ensure that you use CBD oil within the UK legality guidelines.
• Half cup gelatin
• Two cups of your preferred fruit juice.
• One teaspoon of sweetener (honey can work)
• Drops of CBD oil- Pick the strength that works for you.
• Moulds for the gummies.
• Start by mixing the juice with the sweetener. Using a saucepan, warm the mixture until it begins to simmer.
• Remove the mixture from the heat and add gelatine.
• Add CBD oil drops, stir until a uniform mix is achieved.
• The resulting mixture should be poured into the moulds and refrigerated.
• After the mixture has become firm, pop your gummies out of the moulds and enjoy!
Which Is Better, CBD Gummies or Oils?
Although CBD gummies have their advantages, oils are considered the best because of the following reasons;
• Take a shorter time to kick in – When it comes to edibles, they have to go through the digestive system for the liver to metabolise the contents. You might, therefore, have to wait for up to an hour. However, edibles allow you to enjoy the effects for an extended period and so the wait may be worth it.
• No additives – Unlike edibles which come with colour and flavour additives, the oils are in their natural form. Some of these additives may interfere with the cannabinoid profile of a CBD product.
As you can see, both the oils and the gummies have their pros and cons. The choice of the consumption method will, therefore, come down to personal preference as well as what you are trying to achieve.
If you are looking for instant results, then CBD oils is the way to go. If you are looking for taste or extended effects, then gummies may be for you.
As we have seen, CBD gummies offer an excellent way for people to get their regular dose of CBD. Not only are they easy to dose, but they are also discreet hence convenient for on the go use.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Using CBD Gummies?
CBD is one of the world’s most popular and rapidly expanding products. In the recent past, little was known about the effects of CBD on the human body. But in recent years, it has taken over the health and wellness sector.
CBD products are widely approved and utilised as food supplements worldwide, according to hempthy, who lists a slew of current and new CBD products.
The hemp plant is where CBD is produced if you didn’t previously know. On the other hand, the plant has over 120 naturally occurring cannabinoids. THC, like CBD, is a cannabinoid found in cannabis. THC, like CBD, contains psychotropic chemicals and affects the body.
People who use THC will experience a high, but those who use CBD will not. The wellness community has welcomed it because it doesn’t damage human brain capacity, and it comes in various forms. Natural CBD oil is preferred by some people, while others avoid it because of the flavour.
This has resulted in the development of CBD gummies: CBD-infused gummies. As previously indicated, this formulation eliminates the flavour problem. Continue reading to find out everything about CBD gummies, including their advantages and disadvantages.
Cannabidiol is extracted from the cannabis plant and suspended in a non-toxic oil to create CBD oil. Some contain coconut oil and are made in the same way as gummy bears. When it comes to Cannabidiol, though, it’s blended with the oil first before it is fried into gummy form.
Other CBD consumables, such as CBD gummies, can be easily found in any supplement store. They come in various forms and colours to complement the flavour of the CBD gummy. In other words, if you have a particular taste, you’ll be able to locate almost anything.
The pros of CBD gummies
Even though there is a slew of different CBD products available, gummies have long been a fan favorite. This is because they are more palatable to consumers than other types of CBD. CBD gummies have the following advantages:
- CBD gummies are a great option if you want to eat these sweets secretly. Because they seem like conventional candies or gummies, no one will suspect anything about their contents if you use them in public. Consequently, you won’t have to worry about being regarded harshly by others that consider cannabis to be unpleasant while you enjoy them.
- CBD gummies are a huge hit since they’re a real treat to consume. Everyone can consume and profit from them because they are available in various flavors.
- It is simple to add these gummy bears into your routine. They can be taken as an additional supplement to your daily vitamin intake. The more frequently you take them, the more likely it is that they will impact your health.
- Unlike other forms of CBD, Gummies contain the correct amount of the drug. This kind of CBD is ideal for those just starting with CBD.
- These gummies make it easy to administer a little quantity of CBD to your children.
The cons of CBD gummies
- Compared to other CBD forms, gummies have substantially lower bioavailability.
- Depending on the company that makes the gummies, they can be significantly more expensive than CBD oil.
- The presence of unwelcome substances in gummies is well-known (flavouring and colouring).
- Anyone allergic to specific foods or who cannot consume gelatine or gluten should avoid gummy bears.
- The effects of these gummies can take up to an hour or more to appear.
- For hours, you won’t be able to tell if it’s functioning or not. However, the extended time it takes to take effect can be a con and an advantage for edible CBD products. This is especially true if you’re starting with CBD and don’t see any effects straight away.
- As opposed to topicals, CBD candies are the greatest way to receive a full-body benefit and not only target a certain area of your body.
- Substandard CBD products can be found in the marketplace. The best way to ensure that you’re getting a high-quality product is to research.
Which Is Better, CBD Gummies or Oils?
CBD gummies have their perks, but oils are believed to be the best because of the following factors;
- Eatables need to pass through the digestive system before the liver can begin metabolising their contents, taking less time to begin working. As a result, you may be forced to wait for up to an hour for a response. In the case of edibles, you can extend the duration of the high by consuming them for a more extended time.
- There are no preservatives or additives in this product. Edibles, by contrast, contain colourants and flavour enhancers that are not present in oils. CBD products may be negatively affected by some of these ingredients.
Both oils and gummies have their advantages and disadvantages. As a result, the method of consumption is a matter of personal preference and what you are attempting to accomplish.
With CBD oils, you can expect to see effects quickly. Gummies may be a good option if you seek a sweet taste or longer-lasting benefits.
How do Gummies work in Your Body?
Whenever you consume a gummy bear, your digestive system will remove all of the pieces that your body doesn’t need. You’ll be able to ingest the CBD gummies through your stomach lining, just like you would with oil. The CBD receptors in your body and brain will then attach to the molecules, allowing your body to process CBD products in the form it needs most. Because our CBD products don’t contain THC, they don’t have the same intoxicating effects as other cannabinoids that do.
How Many CBD Gummies Should I Eat?
If you’re new to CBD, begin by taking one CBD gummy each day and gradually increase your dosage. If you’re using extra potent full-spectrum CBD products, you may want to limit your intake to two or three per day.
What Should I Expect as A First-Time CBD User?
CBD’s effects differ from person to person, as previously indicated. However, it’s very difficult to predict how CBD will affect a person who has never used it before. Initial reports indicate that first-timers may experience nausea and exhaustion. These incidents are extremely rare, yet they’ve been connected to gummy candy. It would help if you began by going slowly and steadily up until a soft region has been reached. Most people begin with 10 milligrams of CBD and work their way up to 20 milligrams.
Start with 10mg or less, then wait a few hours to see how your body responds before increasing the dosage. Then you can progressively increase the dosage if 10mg doesn’t seem to affect you. To find a sweet spot, start with increments of 10 mg and work your way down to 5 mg. If you notice any undesired side effects during the last dose increment, you can go back to the prior dose and continue with it.
Are Gummies Safe for Children?
The World Health Organization and the CBD network Canex recommend against CBD gummies for children, even though they do not constitute a significant health risk. However, as long as the circumstances are proper, using CBD is a matter of personal choice. Even though CBD is not recommended for youngsters, adults are the most common consumers. To be considered safe, CBD gummies for adults or children must contain less than 0.3 percent THC. Almost anything with a higher THC content will have a slew of undesirable psychotropic effects.
Broad-spectrum CBD and CBD isolate, on the other hand, should be avoided by children under the age of two. These have very low or no THC content, making them suitable for children. As a general rule, it’s best to buy from well-known brands and those who publish third-party lab results about their CBD products.
CBD gummies make it simple and safe to enjoy the benefits of CBD. If you’re still unclear about what to try initially, broad/full-spectrum CBD products are your best bet. Moreover, explore other options like grape gas strain amongst other CBD products. Start with a tiny amount, such as 2.5mg, wait a few hours, and then gradually raise the dosage until you notice effects. Before increasing the dosage, always wait at least 2 hours. Consult your doctor if you have any questions about CBD or prescription medicines.